Monday, January 8, 2007

A Residents observations

I cannot believe what is happening to East Hartford and in particular-our high school!

The recent article in the Hartford Courant(November 15, 2006) regarding the arrest of Board of Education member Dorese Roberts assaulting her daughter has prompted this letter.negative

My husband and I moved to East Hartford 48 years ago to raise our family in a decent, law abiding town. My children and grandchildren have attended East Hartford Public Schools and only over the past several years have I seen such drastic changes.

  • Loitering at EHHS
  • Indecent. disgusting attire worn by students
  • Complete lack of respect for staff, residents and property.
  • Complete lack of discipline and manners.
  • What type of education is provided when our students speak-"I be wid you in a minute after I ax this man if this candy be 50 cent?"
When I arrive at EHHS to pick up my granddaughter I am not able to continue to pass through the front drive of the school because of loitering by the students. Why have security guards if they don't secure the area? Why have a dress code when it is being totally ignored by students and not enforced by the Administration? It is apparent to me that the crude attitude, and general careless demeanor displayed by most of these youngsters mirrors the irresponsibility of at least one board member as well as those individuals who have elected her or selected her and the others who govern our residents. Was Ms. Roberts's character not investigated before being given the responsibility of our children's welfare? Where has the pride in one's community gone?
When is all this going to stop? Surely one of our leaders must have the foresight and intelligence
to research the ability and respectability of board members before they are elected and/or appointed to do the right job for the residents of our town.

East Hartford, a once beautiful, well kept, decent town to raise a family in is not that anymore. I am ashamed to tell people where I live.

Mayor Currey, Mr. Kehoe, Mr. Salemi, Mr. Roczynski, Dr. Martinez, Ms. Mayranen-O' Brien; what has happened to the integrity that is supposed to be your responsibility?

With Respect,


Mrs. Barbara C. Yockachonis

cc: Mayor Melody Currey
Mr. Richard Kehoe, Chairman, Town Council
Mr. Bud Salemi, Democratic Town Committee
Mr. Paul Roczynski, Republican Town Committee
Dr. Marion Martinez, Superintendant
Ms. Hilde Mayranen-O'Brien, Board of Education
Ms. Karen Howe, Secretary, Board of Education

No comments: