Friday, January 5, 2007

Eric Thompson


East Hartford, these are some transitional times for us. I am personally honored and humbled to accept our recently vacated town council seat. I am fully aware that the shoes that I have been appointed to fill are large and I appreciate all of the support and the many votes of confidence for me as we press our town forward to the next level of municipal success and achievement. I believe in East Hartford; especially its potential for greatness and prominence within the State of Connecticut. These positive trends are within this ‘threshold of transition’ and I believe it is essential to capitalize on common sense directives to maximize upon our town’s heritage, present living conditions and future challenges and accomplishments. As Town Councilor, I will do everything within my power and capabilities to achieve these goals for the residents of East Hartford.

I am going to be perfectly honest with you; accomplishing these goals will not be easy. There is no simple solution to the litany of issues that we are facing. The state and the town must work together to acquiesce any semblance of affluence. There are already certain factions that have been actively negotiating to pursue the achievement of these goals. Through a variety of personal sacrifices, many have taken a zero percent wage increase this year to help offset East Hartford’s forthcoming re-evaluation property tax increase. Although this is not the solution, it is a responsible step in the right direction for commonsense progress in East Hartford. With the Town’s fiscal budget upon us, reducing our spending must be a priority. Excessive and new expenditures, in my viewpoint, must be scrutinized and dissected for the benefit of the residents of East Hartford. Partisan politicking must not be utilized, as only the residents suffer for ‘one partied’ agenda ridden policies. This is the time where the town should unite, remove the boxing gloves, and embrace our common goals, concerns and problems together. Contrastingly, I am very optimistic that the leadership in this town will be prudent and responsive to the residents as well as utilizing discretion appropriate for the successful operation of the town. Some examples of this responsiveness from our administration and leadership are starting to manifest. People are coming forth, expressing their dissatisfaction with the present way things are being handled. Exhibiting boldness, our present mayor has made some fiscally responsible statements, arguing against recent financial decisions made by the Superintendent of Schools and the Board of Education; I am hoping this sentiment of fiscal responsibility to the residents of our town continues to be top priority with my colleagues on the Council in 2007.

I look forward to this legislative process optimistically, seeing that I am the ‘new kid on the block.’ While the term ‘neophyte’ may be an accurate statement about me, please do not become dismayed about my agenda and intentions for the town of East Hartford. I recently took an oath to uphold and protect the charter of this town and I take that oath seriously. I am very excited to move forward into this transitional period of our town. I welcome this challenge and am eager to introduce my ideas and perspectives as well as the ideas and perspectives of those whom I represent. Feel free to contact me as I wish to be a conduit to your local government here in East Hartford. It is all about you, your family and livelihood! Let us make the best of life here in East Hartford; better, together.

1 comment:

Travis J. Simpson said...

Eric,
I want to congratulate you on your recent appointment to the Town Council. I know you will work hard to advance the objectives of the RTC in your role as a Councilman.
Sincerely,
Travis J. Simpson